October Gardening Checklist
- Plant pansies, flowering kale and cabbage for fall color.
- Divide and re-plant ground covers like liriope. This is also a good time to plant new ground covers, and they are often on sale.
- Plant shrubs and trees, especially those that are grown for fall foliage, while fall color is visible.
- Plant perennials.
- Plant cilantro, garlic, leaf lettuce, parsley, radishes, spinach, and turnips.
- Prune dead wood from trees and shrubs, but wait until they go dormant for major pruning.
- Remove tired summer annuals, prune spent blooms off perennials. Again, wait until later for major re-shaping.
- Begin to bring potted tropicals and houseplants inside. Watch out for insects which could multiply rapidly inside.
- Gather leaves as they drop on grass. Add to the compost pile or shred and use as mulch in beds.